In last week’s weekly Prolife Update e-mail, we gave readers a positive case for why President Trump has fulfilled his commitments to the prolife movement, going above and beyond previous administrations. You can check that out with this link, you should subscribe today!
This week, let’s lay out some scenarios if Joe Biden/Kamala Harris win on Tuesday. They range from frustrating to devastating, putting a virtual lid on the prolife legislative agenda for a generation—and not to be too dramatic, but essentially declaring war on prolife individuals and organizations, turning us from opponents to dissidents.
If Biden follows Obama’s lead, he’s likely to do these things, even if he doesn’t have a congressional majority:
- Move to scrap Obamacare with a new replacement. Just like the original goal of Obamacare, a major goal of Bidencare will be taxpayer funding of abortion.
- The Hyde Amendment, which bans taxpayer funding of most abortions, could be undermined, unenforced, or subject to a government shutdown fight.
- Biden will immediately rescind the Mexico City Policy and Protect Life Rule, to use tax dollars for promoting abortion overseas and restoring Planned Parenthood’s lost funding through Title X family planning.
- The federal bureaucracy will be led by abortion advocates; conscience protections for prolife doctors, nurses, and many others will go undefended.
- U.S. attorneys will be purged and replaced with abortion activists and federal prolife laws could go unenforced.
- The IRS will target Biden’s opponents, just like Obama’s IRS under Lois Lerner.
- Given Kamala Harris’ track record of using law enforcement to harass prolife people, prolife people should be concerned that the full power of the FBI and our national security apparatus would be under her control.
If Biden has a Congressional majority:
- Unlike the fight over Obamacare, the Democratic Party has purposefully purged almost all prolife people from their top levels. There will nobody to slow them down this time.
- The Hyde Amendment will die, and so will millions of unborn children at the expense of taxpayers.
- Joe Biden will make Roe v. Wade the “law of the land.” It’s vague what exactly that legislation would be, but it likely includes repealing every federal-level prolife law, including the federal partial-birth abortion ban.
- Rather than refusing to enforce conscience protections for prolife doctors, nurses and others, Biden could repeal them. He could mandate hospitals/universities perform abortions or train students to perform them—or lose federal funding. Prolife people may no longer be able to work in certain professions free of punishment.
- Biden could threaten prolife states by withholding federal funding from them if they don’t adhere to his definition of Roe v. Wade as “the law of the land,” putting state-level prolife laws like parental consent and ultrasound viewing laws at risk.
- Joe Biden could pack the U.S. Supreme Court, adding numerous pro-abortion justices.
If Joe Biden packs the Supreme Court:
Unless the Republicans respond in kind in 2024, no prolife law or regulation in any state will survive. Per Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s wish, they will overturn Roe v. Wade in the other direction, perversely saying abortion is protected under the U.S. Constitution as “equal protection under the law,” equating every prolife law to legal discrimination on the basis of sex. Any violation of our First Amendment rights—from advertising pregnancy centers to sidewalk counseling in front of abortion facilities—will be rubber stamped by the U.S. Supreme Court. Taxpayer funding of abortion will be required under the U.S. Constitution.
This could also happen if two justices die or retire and Biden is able to naturally create a pro-abortion Supreme Court majority. Had Hillary Clinton won in 2016, we’d likely be here already.
We wish we lived in normal, friendlier times, but truthfully we do not. It does no good to ignore what abortion advocates say they want to do. This isn’t 1970s Joe Biden; even if he remains nominally in control of his administration for four years, he has agreed to or has been forced to repudiate even the smallest objection to unlimited abortion—as a price for running for the job he so covets.
If the term “dissident” sounds alarmist to you, we hope you are right, but we can only point to Joe Biden being open to packing the Supreme Court, point to the four Supreme Court justices in NIFLA v. Becerra willing to make it a crime for California pregnancy centers to advertise without promoting taxpayer funded abortions, and tell you that you have been duly warned!